Thursday, July 3, 2014

Obrigada, Senhor Serrano!

After a long visit to the Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga (or is it Antiga Arte? - I can never get it straight), I decided to push through my staggering jetlag and go visit the shop where I purchased, albeit from my apartment in Connecticut, my first tapetes Arraiolos kit. After wandering around and having to check my location on Google Maps no less than 4 times in three blocks, I found Serranofill tucked into wall about three streets down from the restaurant gauntlet (aka Rua de Augusta).

Senhor Serrano graciously agreed to let me photograph his shop for my research. I then showed him a picture of the rugs I had made from Serranofill kits. He immediately went and pulled out the magazines where the patterns are found. Through the magic of Google Translate I managed to communicate to him that I had made the rugs in the pictures from kits he had put together for me almost 15 years ago. He smiled big and I smiled bigger. I pointed out pictures of tapetes from my museum books that I wanted to make, and within minutes he had located similar patterns in the magazines he keeps in the store and explained how I could modify, or in some cases, merge the existing patterns to recreate the rugs I am interested in. I practically did a happy dance right there on the spot!

What a friendly, knowledgeable man! He told me that the website address on his magazines is missing a final l - "dose ele" - but for me it still comes up with only l: http://www.serranofil.pt. The shop's email address is hgpgeral@mail.telepac.pt  - which may be why I never got an email back from previous inquiries, as that is not the address I was emailing! I would encourage any of you looking for a supplier to reach out to Senhor Serrano. He certainly knows his stuff! 

No comments:

Post a Comment